Podcast #675: The Humble, Narcissistic Chief
Analysis, to not point out anecdotal commentary, reveals that plenty of narcissists find yourself in management positions. That’s as a result of the qualities narcissism enlarges into extremes — confidence, assertiveness, a way of future — assist individuals rise to the highest.
Sadly, the identical qualities of narcissism that assist a person acquire a management place, can stop them from being efficient in that place, and from holding onto it.
My visitor’s analysis has uncovered what generally is a resolution to this dilemma: the timeless advantage of humility. His title is Brad Owens, he’s a professor of enterprise ethics, and we start our dialogue at present by digging into the incontrovertible fact that research achieved on the impact of narcissism on management have been inconsistent, with some exhibiting it to have a constructive impact, and others a unfavourable one. Brad explains that the rationale these research could have been inconclusive, is that whereas narcissism can get somebody right into a management function, it then will get in the way in which of them succeeding in that function. We then flip to the concept cultivating humility can mood the unfavourable results of narcissism, and the three elements of humility each chief, whether or not narcissistic or not, ought to domesticate. We talk about whether or not there are conditions the place you do need to be extra narcissistic than humble, what a humble, narcissistic chief appears like, and the way Steve Jobs and George Washington function examples of this mix of qualities.
If studying this in an e-mail, click on the title of the publish to take heed to the present.
- Defining narcissism
- What are the constructive outcomes of narcissism?
- What Steve Jobs can inform us about narcissism — each the positives and negatives
- How narcissism are you able to get you into management positions, however then additionally seed your downfall
- What does it imply to be humble?
- When to be humble, and when to be narcissistic in management situations
- How George Washington displayed each narcissism and humility
- What may overtly humble leaders study being extra assertive and assured?
Sources/Articles/Folks Talked about in Podcast
- The way to Keep away from Conversational Narcissism
- The way to Develop Larger Self-Consciousness
- The Advantages of Delight
- Ego Is the Enemy
- The Virtuous Life: Humility
- Washington by Ron Chernow
- Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
- The way to Be Assertive
- The way to Cease Being a Good Man
- Brad’s articles:
Join With Brad
Brad’s e-mail for scheduling management consults: [email protected]
Hearken to the Podcast! (And don’t neglect to go away us a assessment!)
Hear ad-free on Stitcher Premium; get a free month if you use code “manliness” at checkout.
Learn the Transcript