Podcast #697: Social Psychology Gained’t Save Us
On the subject of proposed options to life’s issues, whether or not on a person or societal scale, the 4 mostly used phrases nowadays are “In response to a examine . . . ” This phrase is utilized by journalists and media shops; we definitely use it rather a lot in AoM articles. And it’s used within the rationales which are forwarded for implementing some new program in a college or different establishment.
My visitor, nonetheless, questions whether or not we actually needs to be lending the analysis of social psychologists and behavioral scientists a lot weight.
His title is Jesse Singal and he’s the creator of The Fast Repair: Why Fad Psychology Can’t Remedy Our Social Ills. At the moment on the present, Jesse explains how social psychology has come to such prominence in our tradition, the function issues like TED talks have performed in its rise, and but how the replication disaster calls into query the legitimacy of the sector’s rising affect. We talk about why the options typically provided by behavioral science are each seductive and flawed, and the way this dynamic performed out within the shallowness motion of the Nineteen Nineties. We then talk about if one other fad of social science, energy posing, truly works, earlier than turning to how the issues of optimistic psychology are exemplified in a program the army adopted to assist troopers with PTSD. We finish our dialog with whether or not the thought of grit is all it’s cracked as much as be, and the way finally, there are not any fast fixes to life’s massive issues.
If studying this in an e mail, click on the title of the publish to hearken to the present.
- What brought on the rise of social psychology in fashionable tradition?
- What’s “prime world”?
- Why the replication disaster is hurting psychology
- What was the premise of the conceit motion of the 80s and 90s? Why was the motion so highly effective?
- What’s the state of power-posing immediately?
- Are researchers incentivized to publish daring claims?
- Are scientists conscious of the critiques of their claims? Are they combatting it?
- The optimistic psychology pattern
- Why psychologists have turned to serving to people who find themselves wholesome to begin with
- Social psychology and PTSD
- Why is the thought of grit coming below fireplace?
- How the media and common tradition exacerbates social analysis
Assets/Articles/Individuals Talked about in Podcast
- Does Meditation Deserve the Hype?
- Cease Hacking Your Life
- Life Hacking, A Reexamination
- John Vasconcellos
- The Self-Esteem Motion at 20 Years
- Selfie by Will Storr
- New Thought Motion
- The Energy of Optimistic Pondering
- Energy Posing Is Again
- The Concepts Trade by Daniel Drezner
- Discovered Optimism by Martin Seligman
- Mastering Mindset to Enhance Happiness
- Bought Grit?
- The 6 Kinds of Grit (And How you can Develop Them)
- Attain Your Peak
- When Grit Isn’t Sufficient
Join With Jesse
Blocked and Reported podcast
Hearken to the Podcast! (And don’t neglect to go away us a overview!)
Hear ad-free on Stitcher Premium; get a free month whenever you use code “manliness” at checkout.
Learn the Transcript