Podcast #643: Life Classes From Useless Philosophers
Learning philosophy could be a metaphorical journey into knowledge. My visitor as we speak skilled it as not solely that, however as a really literal journey as nicely.
His identify is Eric Weiner and he traveled hundreds of miles world wide to go to the haunts of quite a few philosophers as he sought to raised perceive their insights and the way he may apply them to his personal life. He wrote about this philosophic pilgrimage in The Socrates Categorical: In Search of Life Classes From Useless Philosophers. Eric and I start our dialog with why he selected to take all his journeys by practice, and why rail journey is especially conducive to considerate reflection. We then flip to the bodily and philosophical stops he made on his journey, together with why Marcus Aurelius wrote a lot about getting away from bed and what in the end motivated the emperor to start out every day; what Thoreau can train us about seeing; why Gandhi was very within the concept of manliness; how Nietzsche’s concept of everlasting recurrence can change the best way we dwell our day by day lives; and the lesson Simone de Beauvoir affords us on growing old nicely. We finish our dialog with Montaigne’s perception on easy methods to get snug with demise.
If studying this in an e-mail, click on the title of the submit to hearken to the present.
- Why Eric gravitated in the direction of touring by rail for this journey
- The true purpose and authentic that means of philosophy
- Why does Marcus Aurelius spend a lot time writing about getting away from bed?
- “Is” vs “ought”
- The ability of questions (even after they don’t arrive at concrete solutions)
- The strolling habits of famed philosophers
- What’s Walden Pond like? What did it train Eric about imaginative and prescient?
- Thoreau’s stability of Romanticism and scientific inquiry
- The morality of consideration
- Gandhi’s misunderstood, aggressive philosophy
- Is Nietzsche’s “Everlasting Return” a curse or a blessing?
- What can Simone de Beauvoir train us about growing old?
- Montaigne on demise
Sources/Folks/Articles Talked about in Podcast
- My first interview with Eric on The Geography of Genius
- AoM sequence on the seasons of a person’s life
- Meditations on Meditations
- How you can Assume Like a Roman Emperor
- The Energy of Marvel
- 20 Guidelines for Strolling
- The Magic of Strolling
- Solvitur Ambulando: It Is Solved By Strolling
- What Do You Need to Need
- Climbing With Nietzsche
- Anticipate Nice Issues — The Mystical Lifetime of Thoreau
- The Existentialist’s Survival Information
- Simone Weil
- 7 Books to Assist You Assume About and Handle Your Digital Life
- Yoga Categorical
- Harness the Life-Altering Energy of Everlasting Return
- Dance Like Zorba the Greek
- The Coming of Age by Simone de Beauvoir
- Montaigne’s Essays
Join With Eric
Hearken to the Podcast! (And don’t overlook to depart us a evaluate!)
Hear ad-free on Stitcher Premium; get a free month whenever you use code “manliness” at checkout.
Learn the Transcript
The submit Podcast #643: Life Classes From Useless Philosophers appeared first on The Artwork of Manliness.