Loads of younger males at this time wrestle to find their footing in maturity. They really feel misplaced, directionless, and not sure of who they’re and the best way to confidently and competently navigate the world.
Part of the explanation for that is that almost all younger males at this time lack one thing which was as soon as part of practically each tradition on the earth, however has now nearly fully disappeared: a ceremony of passage.
My visitor at this time didn’t need his son to flounder on the way in which to maturity, nor to overlook out on having an initiation into manhood, so he got down to create a 6-year journey for him that will assist him transfer from boy to man. His identify is Jon Tyson, and he’s the writer of The Intentional Father: A Practical Guide to Raise Sons of Courage and Character. Today on the present, Jon unpacks the elements of the years-long journey into manhood he created for his son, starting with how he brainstormed these elements by doing “The Day Your Son Leaves Home” train. We then talk about how previous Jon’s son was when he began his ceremony of passage and why it started with him having a “severing dinner” together with his mother. We get into what his ceremony of passage consisted of, from the kickoff ceremony to the challenges, experiences, journeys, and day by day rituals Jon used to impart values and educate his son the “5 Shifts of Manhood.” Jon shares how shifting his son’s focus from being a superb man, to being good at being a person, helped him get remotivated to proceed the method, why his ceremony of passage included a spot yr after highschool, and the way Jon celebrated the tip of his son’s journey into changing into a person. We additionally talk about whether or not Jon did one thing comparable together with his daughter. We finish our dialog with some key rules any dad can use to start out deliberately serving to their children grow to be well-rounded people who can confidently step out on their very own and into the world.
Resources Related to the Podcast
- AoM Article: The Importance of Fathers
- AoM Article: The Importance of Male Rites of Passage
- AoM Article: Male Rites of Passage From Around the World
- AoM Article & Podcast: Man’s Need for Ritual
- AoM Series on the origins, parts, and way forward for manhood
- AoM Article: The 7 Habits — Begin With the End in Mind
- AoM Article: The 3 Families Every Young Man Needs to Grow Up Well
- James Hollis
- AoM Article: Carry the Fire
- Art of Manliness’ Carry the Fire Zippo Lighter
- AoM Article: What Is Manliness?
- AoM Podcast #527 With Richard Rohr
- The Power of Moments: Why Certain Experiences Have Extraordinary Impact by Chip and Dan Heath
- The Way of Men by Jack Donovan
- AoM Podcast #49 With Jack Donovan
- AoM Series on the Four Archetypes of the Mature Masculine
- AoM Article: 100 Skills Every Man Should Know
- AoM Article: 80+ Quotes on Men & Manhood
Connect With Jon Tyson
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t overlook to go away us a overview!)
Listen ad-free on Stitcher Premium; get a free month once you use code “manliness” at checkout.